- This event has passed.
Bible Overview: Hebrew Scriptures
March 6, 2019 @ 7:00 pm - 8:50 pm
An event every week that begins at 7:00 pm on Wednesday, happening 6 times
A Six-Week Class with Rev John Riley
Dates: Wednesdays, 1/30-3/6 @ 7:00-8:50pm
Cost: Love offering
SEE Credit Available for class SCS 100
The Hebrew Scriptures (known as the “Old Testament” in the Christian world) are at the root of three major world religions—Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. Hebrew Scriptures are a collection of fascinating and sometimes confusing stories, poetry, wisdom sayings, and inspired visions. While some stories in Hebrew Scriptures are little known outside scholarly circles, others have become commonplace in conversion, e.g. “David vs. Goliath.” Students will explore the history and development of Hebrew Scriptures, thereby acquiring a solid foundation for continuing study and exploration.
Course Learning Objectives – By the end of the course learners will be able to:
- Identify parts and origins of the Hebrew Scriptures.
- Identify the writers and the times of the writings.
- Compare time periods and explain their significance.
- Explain how the Hebrew Scriptures can present the story of the evolution of the consciousness of humankind.
Required Text/Readings available in the bookstore:
- Borg, Marcus J. Reading the Bible Again for the First Time. San Francisco: Harper Collins, 2015.
- The Bible – in one of the following translations. (The NRSV: New Revised Standard Version; or the NET: New English Translation)